Monday, January 31, 2011

Getting Closer

Guest Blogger for the Week: Mark

Lauren is out of town on business, so I'm left to my own devices. Assuming I don't starve myself or burn the place down [miss you sweetie!], I should be able to preside over the rest of the construction.

Today they installed most of the doors and drawer fronts. BIG change. It actually looks like a kitchen.

A few minor heart attacks this evening: when I came home, Farid said "Oh, good Mark, I'm glad you're here." That's never a good sign. It appeared as though we were missing some pieces, namely the drawer fronts on the unfinished cabinets below. Turns out Ikea labels the packages according to the total dimensions. So two 12x24 cabinets are listed as one 24x24 piece. Wow. That took about an hour of going through every piece we ordered and bought (if you've been following you know the count is above 250) AND a trip to Ikea. So we do have what we need. It's a super-good thing too, because there simply aren't any more out there. The line is discontinued. Phew.

It turns out I did need to go to Ikea -- the planning people did not clearly label the waste-sorting drawer and, thus, it didn't make it on our product list. So I bought the materials tonight.

Here's the eye candy for today:


The photo above is VERY close to what the finished product will look like, save for a two-inch strip at the cabinet-bottom line, behind which will go the lighting system.


The photo above didn't translate well -- the grout lines appear zig-zaggy. They aren't.




1 comment: